Start date: December 2018
Terms: The System Administrator will work 20 hours per week @ $35-$40 per hour, depending on experience and with some flexibility for additional hours, roughly $40,000 per year. This part-time contract is for twelve months, with the opportunity to extend to a second year. Additional employment after two years is contingent upon further funding. The first three months of the contract will be considered a trial period.
The Environmental Data and Governance Initiative (EDGI) is an interdisciplinary and cross-sectional network working to support evidence based, democratic environmental governance. We are searching for a remote part-time System Administrator to work on and support our Web Monitoring Platform, Scanner, used by our Web Monitoring Working Group. The Web Monitoring Platform monitors changes to tens of thousands of web pages across federal agencies (such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy) to trace how environmental data, information, and their online presentation change. Our work has contributed to over 120 news articles in the past two years and been reported by the New York Times, the Washington Post, Politico, and CNN. Read the EDGI annual report to find more information about the work of our entire organization.
Our technical stack
We also use Sentry and Circle CI and are also in the process of automating our deployment using Kubernetes. And we use Wordpress for our website.
We know no one checks every box. If you have experience with full stack development, are open to learning new tools, have a natural curiosity with technology, please reach out to us.
Here are some of the things you’ll do:
- Improve and maintain the stability and performance of the Website Monitoring Platform
- Ensure EDGI has a reliable process for deploying software updates and responding to emergency issues
- Work with Senior Software Developer to prioritize needs and reduce technical debt
- With the Website Monitoring development team, manage the Scanner roadmap
- Advise and work collaboratively with EDGI’s steering committee, web monitoring team and partner organizations on the release and future development of Scanner
- Facilitate and participate in some group calls and conversations with subgroups, including volunteer analysts, developers, and partner organizations during business and off-peak hours across North American time zones
Qualifications and skills we are looking for
- Experience deploying to Heroku, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, or other cloud infrastructure services
- Programming skills (in some of the languages specified above) required to fill gaps in volunteer capacity by performing code reviews or contributing code to address high-priority issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience organizing or working on an open-source software project
- Remote work collaboration
- Interest in working for open-source, citizen-led science
To apply: Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
Cover letter outlining why you are a fit for the position including:
Short one paragraph description of your favorite project (Bonus if it is an open source project.)
Links to previous work (e.g. Github, Bit Bucket, personal website)
Your experience interacting with open-source communities, on-boarding new contributors, and mentoring junior developers, please mention that too.
How you heard about this position (e.g. job board, listserv, etc.)
We will start reviewing applications November 5, 2018.
EDGI is a distributed collaboration operating under the fiscal sponsorship of the non-profit, Public Lab, with volunteer members across North America. EDGI strives to acknowledge and reduce barriers for members of equity-seeking groups through fair hiring practices in line with Public Lab. We expect everyone to follow our Code of Conduct and principles of friendliness, respect, empathy, and open communication.
EDGI is committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. We encourage people with different ability sets, people of color, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.