Headquarters: London, UK
The application form takes 1 minute, CV is required.
“The engineering world is going remote - but the most interesting engineering challenges and the professional development support often stay in HQ.
At Aula, we're remote-first and deeply focused on developing our people.”
Job to be done: Be a core part of part of Aula’s engineering team working full-stack, end-to-end on features that will make a difference for students and educators. Consumer tech frontend, complex infrastructure backend.
The tools you’ll use: React, React-Native, microservices in Node.js, Docker, AWS, Redux, Mongo.
What is Aula: Remote-first 20-person startup (from 10 nationalities!) building digital campuses for universities - think 'Slack for education'. We recently raised $4.2m.
About you 👩🚀👨🚀
We’re excited to tell you about Aula and what we’re working on, but first of all, let us explain who we’re looking for.
Traits we value:
- Collaborative spirit
- Curiosity: excited about exploring and learning.
- Mission-driven: you care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives.
- You are excited about joining a 20-person startup with all the ups, downs and ownership that entails.
- Transparency, reliability and considerateness.
Experience we value:
- You have both front-end and back-end experience
- You have experience iterating on products from end-to-end (full feature)
The role 🌞
We’re looking for a seasoned full-stack developer that can build features across the entire stack (front-end, back-end, mobile). Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be working on
- Be part of leading a high-performing team: inspiring team members, set priorities and own results
- Building backend microservices
- Pushing our thinking on core architecture choices
- Working directly with our product team to build, maintain and improve slick user interfaces across devices
- Switching between different apps and devices (web, desktop, iOS, Android)
About us 🔮
Aula is a communication platform for education. Think ‘Slack for education’: consumer tech on the front-end yet complex infrastructure on the back-end. We’ve built Aula because we believe digital learning infrastructure should encourage community and participation-based learning.
For students, this means less one-way communication from the teacher, more collaboration with fellow students (using integrations with tools like GitHub and codepen
) and easier access to student services like the welfare team - even if you’re commuting or are away from campus on a placement. We’ve recently raised a $4.2m seed round and some people think we’re worth watching out for
- Personal development is part of being 'a high performer'. Each quarter, you'll set targets for your own personal development.
- Shared ownership: Joining the Aula journey means you will own part of the company. 📈
- Technology: Get hooked up with the technology you need to do your best work. 💻
- Free books: Whatever you want to read. 🤓
- Family leave: We offer enhanced family leave, no matter if you're the one giving birth or not - and a commitment to open, continuous communication. 🐣
- Flexible working 🌻
- Company retreats 🌴
Our team 👋 🗺
We’re a diverse bunch of people from all over the world (Denmark, Philippines, France, Albania, Georgia, Pakistan, Sweden, India, UK and US) that care deeply about making educational experiences more engaging.
Our engineers have previously lead teams that have built things like the Georgian version of Youtube (myvideo.ge
with 2.5 million monthly unique viewers) and a novel way to share and view 3D medical images (TissueStack
You’ll be working closely with Oliver, our CTO, so we thought we’d put a face on him
You’ll be doing pair programming, have regular one-on-ones, set your own personal development targets to develop you both as an engineer and a leader, and occasionally jump on a video call and share a ‘remote meal’ while a team member speaks about a topic they care about.
Our tech stack 💾🛠
We’re bringing educational infrastructure into the 21st century. We’ve explained our stack in detail in this blog post
, but here’s a quick overview of what we’re building with:
- React (and React Native)
- Microservices backends with Node.js and AWS
- Mongo, Redis and others dbs
Interview process 👌
To show you've read all of this, please write 'I breathe semicolons.' before your answer in the first application question.
Look forward to hearing from you,
The Aula team 👋