Headquarters: London, UK
No inquiries from agencies, please.
Location: Anywhere in UK or Republic of Ireland.
Due to continued business growth this is a fantastic opportunity for a talented DevOps Engineer to join our team. You will be part of a fast-paced, innovative startup working with a highly visionary team looking after critical systems leveraging best of breed technology across a variety of infrastructures.
Our business involves managing distributed data platforms architected to store large volumes of data, be highly available and deployed across distributed infrastructures. We provide expertise in technologies such as Apache Kafka, Apache Cassandra, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch and a variety of complementary technologies. Our approach to engineering is to automate all aspects of deploying and managing these systems as well as instrumenting them to provide a 24x7 always on deployment.
This role focuses on managing our client’s distributed platforms by providing high quality services and keeping the lights on. The engineer will be working with a variety of customers from social media platforms to banking systems. The role will require on-call work on a rota basis to help manage customer's environments and support internal systems.
This role is based out of UK or Republic of Ireland and involves working with a DevOps team that is distributed across Europe. The candidate must be comfortable working remotely, and communicating over instant messenger, slack etc.. and video communications.
- This should be your main day-to-day automation tool, not just something you have looked at or used occasionally.
- You should be comfortable and productive in Ansible and be using it on a daily basis - writing your own roles, playbooks etc..
- We have invested heavily in Ansible as our main tool and need someone who can leverage and enhance our automation.
Apache Kafka and/or Apache Cassandra (or DataStax Enterprise)
- Good operational knowledge of either Apache Kafka or Apache Cassandra/DataStax Enterprise and be interested in learning more about them.
We always look to improve, and will expect you to tell us what we can do better and be comfortable communicating your vision and thoughts to others.
- Excited and passionate about learning new technologies.
- Knowledge and experience (3+ years) with running Linux infrastructure. Should be familiar with Linux internals including Linux kernel, filesystem and network configuration and tuning.
- Good understanding of networking technologies including TCP/IP fundamentals, load balancing technologies and principles, DNS, DHCP, routing etc.
- Good understanding of security and complementary technologies e.g. VPN, LDAP, SSL etc..
- Experience supporting internet facing platforms and associated technologies such as Apache HTTPD, Nginx, node.js etc..
- Experience supporting Java applications
- Hands-on experience with the following technologies (or similar) including implementation and configuration:
- Configuration management Technologies such as Puppet, Chef but preferably Ansible
- Monitoring and alerting systems such as Nagios, Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog or similar
- Strong scripting skills - BASH, Python, Ruby, or Perl
- Apache Cassandra
- Apache Kafka
- Apache Spark
- DataStax Enterprise
- HashiCorp stack - Consul, Terraform, Vault etc..
- Containerisation and Virtualisation technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, KVM, VMWare
- Cloud providers - AWS, Google etc..
- All candidates must Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering or related discipline.
To apply: email@example.com